Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

I was under extreme time pressure to finish another book which had to be a great american story. That is why I chose The Lottery. However, I actually really like it. It was short which was good because I needed to complete by Friday but it was very entertaining. It is about this annual, "lottery," where a small village of 300 people choose pieces of paper. Everyone is given a stone, and the person who picks a black dot on the piece of paper is stoned to death. I really liked the story because it was interesting and it was very, very insightful. I am really interested in human nature which is why i liked this book and cuccok's nest. This book had a couple of motifs and ideas about family, selfishness, revolutionary thinking, risk taking and survival of the fittest.
I definitely recommend it. 8.5/10 (it is a little too short, though).

No comments:

Post a Comment